So let’s get to the jungle. I planned to plant two rows of tree trunks on the edge of the woods and cover the inner area of the forest just with the canopy. Therefore I started to construct a underlying base for the canopy which had the shape of the terrain. I used paper mache out of an old newspaper, as it is light and flexible.
After drying the treetop base was painted green:
The trunks on the edge of the woods where made out of floral wire. It is sturdy enough to be sticked upright inside the terrain and has a nice texture on the outside. I only found green wire so I painted it brown and cut it in small pieces of roughly 15-20mm length:
The drilling work began: two rows of holes were cut with a small driller into the terrain:
Then the tree trunks were glued into place and on top of the trunks different forms of foliage glued into place. After the whole thing dried the base for the canopy was glued into place.
Finally I just had to cover the whole inner area with foliage of different size and form and the jungle was roughly ready:
At this point the forest looked more like a mixed forest of a moderate climate zone, so I had to add some jungle elements. The smallest miniature palms I could grab on ebay where 30mm tall, which is to tall for this scale. The treetop of the palm was very tall as well.
So I just cut the palm trunks into two halves and the treetops as well. I glued them into place again and had twice as many palms as I had before!
These palms where glued all over the terrain as well as in the canopy itself to represent single trees growing over the rest of the trees:
The overall result is very pleasing, here are some of the pictures with the terrain on the seascape mat. In a few days we will present the table on the Hamburger Tactica so I’m sure we’ll get some final pictures with a better quality.